Bristlecone Chapter of the California Native Plant Society
The California Native Plant Society (CNPS) is a state-wide 501(c)3 non-profit organization of lay persons and professionals who share an interest in California’s native plants. The Society, working through its local chapters, seeks to increase the understanding of California’s native flora and to preserve this rich resource for future generations. Membership is open to all.
The Bristlecone Chapter covers all of Mono and Inyo Counties and northeastern Kern County, an area that includes the east slope of the Sierra Nevada, the Northern Mojave Desert, the Inyo and White Mountains, and the Owens Valley. The southern end of the Bristlecone Chapter’s geographically large territory, in and around the Indian Wells Valley, has its own sub-chapter, Creosote Ring.
The January-February 2017 Bristlecone Chapter Newsletter is online - read online or download and print.
The deadline for submitting articles for the next issue is February 15th.
Upcoming CNPS Events
Field Trips, Meetings, and other events of interest scheduled for the next month or so – for more events, including non-CNPS events which may be of interest to our members, see our Events Page.
- January 20, 2017: Deadline for Mary DeDecker Botanical Grant Applications
Grants for research and projects that increase the understanding and appreciation of native plants and ecosystems in the Eastern Sierra are available to graduate students, college students, and primary and secondary students (K-12). Research projects need not be academic or scholarly but must be relevant to the native plants of the northern Mojave Desert, Sierra Nevada, and Great Basin portions of eastern California. Applications must include written support from a major advisor or teacher.
Grant recipients receive up to $1,000 each for expenses and are asked to present their results to the Bristlecone Chapter either at a regular meeting or in the chapter newsletter. The deadline for the 2017 Grant is January 20, 2017. All applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by early March, 2017. More information and application: http://bristleconecnps.org/dedecker/grant/index.php
- January 25, 2017, Wednesday, 6:00 pm: Bristlecone Chapter Field Trip Planning Meeting, White Mountain Research Center, 3000 East Line Street, Bishop
Come and sign up to lead or co-lead a field trip in 2015. Pizza provided - BRING salads and field trip ideas. Let's fill up the calendar with great trips again! Contact Sue Weis (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. Program will follow at 7pm (see description below).
- January 25, 2017, Wednesday, 7pm: Courtney Collins, 2015 DeDecker Grant Recipient will present, Understanding the impacts of shrub expansion on alpine plant mycorrhizal communities in the White Mountains, California. Location: White Mountain Research Center, Bishop.
Climate and land use change has promoted the uphill movement and expansion of sagebrush (Artemisia spp.) from sub-alpine to alpine areas in the White Mountains of California over the last 50 years. My research focuses on the impacts of this change on native plant communities and on biotic (living) and abiotic (non-living) parts of the soil ecosystem. I use field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments to disentangle the roles of plant competition and soil feedbacks on alpine plant communities and better understand aboveground-belowground interactions in this changing landscape.
For more events, including some from other organizations, see the Bristlecone Chapter Events Page
See our Conservation pages for updates on current issues relating to native plants and their habitats, such as Inyo National Forest Plan Revisions and Invasive Species. We will start up the Conservation Alerts emails again soon, if you signed up previously or wish to sign up - check back to the Conservation page!
Like us on Facebook!
The Bristlecone Chapter now has a Facebook Page! If you are on Facebook, head on over and "like" us (or click "like" in the box at left) to get updates in your Facebook newsfeed. While you are there, post a message on our wall, share photos or links of interest, let us know what you think!
But Wait! There's More:
- Check out the Latest Chapter Newsletter for more news, articles and updates.
- Watch for our Annual Native Plant Sale in September!
- Check the events page for more Field Trips and other events of interest. You may also subscribe to our Google calendar for automatic updates.
- Find out when the next Chapter Meetings will be and what topics will be presented.
- Apply for a Mary DeDecker Botanical Grant: Deadline is in December of each year.
- Get your Bristlecone Chapter T-Shirts – available at Spellbinder Books in downtown Bishop.
- For more native plant news, see the State California Native Plant Society website.